HELPFUL PACKING AND MOVING TIPS
Whether you're moving across Halifax or around the world, half of the battle in any move is packing properly. This helps at every stage of the move. It helps protect your belongings and ensures that you can find everything you need when unpacking at your new location. Look below for some helpful tips that we've learned over our almost 50 years in business.
- Make a packing and moving checklist. Start well in advance of your move, so you aren't rushed at the last minute.
- Make a list of who you need to notify of your move. This can include friends/family, your employer, post office, banks, insurance companies, utilities, etc. Do this as soon as you know when and where you are going.
- De-clutter before you pack. Sell, donate or toss out items you don't need or want.
- Use sturdy boxes that won't fall apart when moving and reinforce them with packing tape. Investing in proper moving boxes can make a real difference.
- Be organized. Label boxes clearly and use colour coded labels or tape for each room.
- Use the right size boxes. Don't put heavy things like books in large boxes.
- Pack breakables well. Don't overcrowd them and use crumpled paper, bubble wrap, etc. to protect them.
- For things that need to be taken apart, organize and label everything. Bundle up cords, put screws in labeled bags, etc.
- Make sure anything hazardous is packed safely and clearly labeled to protect yourself and the movers.
- Use tape and plastic wrap to secure containers that might leak, such as shampoo, dish soap, etc.